Thursday 21 May 2015

Canal Monster Mirror.


 Having only done a few trips to the canal I haven't gone there expectantly, but the more time I put into it hopefully the more I shall see and catch. But before we get to the canal fishing we had a wander around a couple of our relatively local docks, most of which are very deep and acres in size, stocks of most of these waters aren't known due to this, but this makes it an exciting prospect and never quite know what you may see or catch.

 My father and I headed out with Carp in mind and upon arrival to the first dock we found Carp basking in the sunshine, my tactic was free-lining bread and the ol'bean was fishing just under the surface, this tactic paid dividends first as I watched over the bay to see his rod hooped over as a Carp dived into 28ft+ of water, I ended up putting the gear down and jog round to him to slip the net under one of the prettiest Mirror Carp I've seen.

13lb on the nose, average but a stunning fish.

 I had a couple of chances in that dock but I was a little rusty, one of the chances was as clear cut as you'd like but failed to connect as the Carp bolted, so a change of venue and we headed up the cut for a trek in the hope of spotting some Carp and Bream, we walked for around 4 miles up and didn't see a single fish, big or small, that for us wasn't soul destroying but quite hard to take as we know there has to be something knocking about, a mile or two back down past a few locks and I spotted three Carp basking among some weed and as I spotted them they began to move as if they knew so I had little time to get ready and one of the Carp was a belter around the mid-twenties with the other two in the upper-doubles, I already knew which one I wanted so I got ahead of them and flicked out my slow sinking flake and hoped for the best, they all approached it and the flake vanished as the biggest one took it. Heart skipped a beat and my rod slammed over as I lent into a lump.

 This was by far one of the best fights I have had the pleasure of being embroiled in, one of those battles where you had to let the fish do what it wanted and then gain on it during the short spells that it didn't power down towards the next lock and after three attempts she headed for the net and I had my prize.....what a prize it was.

My prize catching it's breath.
My biggest canal Carp at 25lb 3oz.

After weighing, photographing and much admiration.

 I thought I have had some real crackers but this one was up there and I was very very happy indeed, a canal 25lb + Carp so soon I am clearly made up and just writing this makes me smile.

 The fun didn't end there as I found a small Pike which took a liking to my gold mepps, a short fight resulted in a 2.6 mini esox, further down we did see Bream and more Carp but unfortunately we didn't catch anymore fish but I didn't mind one bit. I will be back again for sure.

How about that for a shot!, incidentally I didn't catch that Carp but I had the Pike.

11 comments:

  1. What a cracking looking fish James, cannot believe how clear the water is. A barrel load of points for the challenge too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not worth as many as it should be really, what a brilliant catch. Some cracking photos too mate.

      Delete
    2. I agree Russell but I don't care about the points, its a beautiful fish to have caught and a pleasure....cant remember the last time I punched the air in jubilation.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nail on the head their Jeff, an why I cannot wait for the new season so I can target that pocket of Warwickshire Avon Carp I've found (you know where I mean). Surprised it didn't get James more points though. The obese looking lake carp you see in magazines, does bugger all for me.

      Delete
    2. I have to be brutally honest in the fact that even if it was worth 1point I wouldn't be bothered at all, I am genuinely made up beyond belief at that carp and yes ive had larger but that doesn't matter as its where it come from and the manner of its capture, i am extremely happy. Lastly cheers guys for the comments.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic fishing, James. Those carp are beautiful and as wild as you like. Right up your street! I have to say that the canal carp fishing I have done myself was some of the most electrifying angling I ever did.

    Carp fishing is so much dull plodding these days that I think most carp anglers have simply lost the plot. Many years ago, in the times before the bolt rig and boilie routine destroyed the scene, I remember clearly what carp fishing was all about.

    It was this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild and wonderful, just how I like it, the canals aren't as dead as I thought!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Riki, it's a belter for sure, my sure more exist and some of those Bream were bloody big, well by canal standards at least. You must join me for a hike in search of one, but no promises for sure lil bro.

      Delete
    2. There's a bream shoal I once saw in the Regents Canal at Mile End at Copperfield Road. They were all very big fish indeed, and a few were huge. Spread out in groups of two and three but about forty in total. It was gin clear though, so night fishing would be the way I'd have thought.

      Delete

Season Review 2023/24.

   Well, that was fun! I managed to get quite a bit of angling done over the last 12 months, as you could probably imagine alot of it was in...