Sunday 19 November 2023

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies.

 

...And no, not those kind of ladies, I mean these! battle worn, hard fighting and smelly...well that could relate to some of the human type but this time around I am talking of the Lady of the Stream (Tymallus Tymallus or Grayling). Around mid-November I tend to get the Grayling itch and dust off the trotting gear for a day out chasing a 3lb specimen which still eludes me.

 The day started off in less than ideal fashion when I got about 6miles into my 104 mile journey the break heat shield on one of my wheels came completely loose after going over a series of potholes, I had to jack up the car, remove the wheel, remove the heat shield, refit the wheel and tighten up the bolts, that cost me a good 20mins which had a knock on affect as I hit the beginning of rush hour traffic on the A303 which was slow with people heading toward Salisbury and neighbouring towns for work. I on the other hand had fishing to get on with and this was all a bloody inconvenience!

As anglers we really are lucky.

 Finally I arrived, about an hour later than I wanted. However I still caught the captivating sunrise which is of stark contrast to the dross we've put up with for weeks now! The river was high and waders were a necessity to fish half of the runs, the high water bought other challenges too as the water was really turbulent and Grayling aren't usually keen on staying in unstable water, problem was a lot of the river was like this and did limit the amount of water I and later on Mike would have to fish.

 That said I got off to wonderful start as my 14ft Acolyte Plus float rod was put into action with a 2lb 6oz specimen which was swiftly followed by a smaller fish of around 10oz then the float sailed away for a third time in as many trots with what turned out to be another two-pounder weighing in at 2lb 4oz, quite the start!

2.6 BOLM!

2.4 

  The sun was lovely and warm and the fish continued to come to the white maggot, reds really weren't working and in the end gave up on them, when the white maggots were going through the sport was steady. A few more average sized fish came to the net and the total was steadily rising past the twenty fish mark and another two-pounder (2.01) joined them, which was then followed by a slight lull in sport before I contacted what turned out to be the biggest of the day, a strong fight in the pacy main flow which made for a good video opportunity, see link here → Locked into battle!

Best of the day at 2lb 8oz.

 A pristine male Grayling, so not quite "a lady" but a fine specimen all the same. As said previously fish were not east to find and sport became really patchy, nevertheless I was still catching the odd fish and as dusk was fast approaching my tally steady increased to 31 Grayling with another three fish over 2lbs ( ending up with seven over 2lbs and two others that weighed 1lb 15ozs ), it was my best haul off the Wylye yet, a special place and feel very privileged to get the opportunity to fish it!

Another low 2...

...Followed by another...

...Finished off with this lovely 2lb 4oz female.

12 comments:

  1. An impressive catch of ladies in anybodies eyes, well done James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fished really well considering conditions, if it was a foot lower I think I could have had a lot more! Who knows, I could have found that "special" Grayling. It was a great day's fishing.

      Delete
  2. Cracking stuff James Sooooooooo many fish what a session, which reminds me must need to try that small pocket of Grayling in Warwickshire I was put on to. Must be some bigger ones around I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's some of the best grayling fishing I've ever had, I feel very lucky to fish it.

      Good luck with the Grayling up your way, touch wood there is a good head up there.

      Delete
  3. Just returned North from a stag weekend in London, I can confirm your smell thoughts!! Nice ladies for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, some of the London tottie is very nice indeed, but there are some ruffians too. As for the Grayling they are all very nice :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic trip - you even managed to avoid the rain (not easy recently)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoilt rotten mate, feels like christmas everytime I go.

      Delete
  5. Blimey, that is a cracking session, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds blaise and I don't mean it to, but thats roughly what I have come to expect there, 20-30 Grayling in a day with 4-7x 2lb+ specimens which is superb numbers, the days leading up to Grayling trips go so slowly.

      Delete
  6. I'm thankful for the diverse range of topics you cover, keeping it fresh and interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Back on the Bream Trail.

   After that slow but very fruitful start to my spring Bream campaign I headed back out with the view to building upon what was a result be...