Wednesday 9 August 2023

Go Big or Go home.

 

 That's quite often a phase I mutter to myself whilst pondering my misfortunes, the lack of bites does have me thinking whether my approaches should be refined, or if refined go bigger and bolder. That was something I had been thinking about between visits to the River Blackwater.

 At home, whilst driving around on my way to jobs and whilst on the tools that nagging feeling of what was I doing wrong. I couldn't seem to get a Barbel to commit to my highly nutritional offerings perfectly placed, in positions where I felt they would be home, not to mention hours of rolling meat too. None of which seemed to arouse one iota of interest, I couldn't be getting it that wrong could I?

 So I decided to rove around on Tuesday for the day, in the rain and try to search out a fish. A single rod, tin of meat, bag of essentials and I was away, just add Barbel. For around 2 miles I rolled and searched for fish, under trees, through the endless beds of ribbon weed and occasional metalwork, I just couldn't muster a touch, by this point (3pm) I'm thinking there must be next to no Barbel around and I seriously thought about packing away and heading to another stretch I have an eye on, but I wanted to try one more spot.

Playing hide and seek.

 This spot looks the bollox and with the persistent rain hammering down I opted to hunker down under the brolly and see if something would come to me, a sixth of a tin of meat went out on a nice hard slither of gravel flanked by dense ribbon weed. A game of patience began and in between phone calls with friends about three hours had drifted by without a touch, then, out of absolutely nowhere my rod thumped off downstream to what can only be described as a typical three foot twitch, IT HAD FINALLY HAPPENED.

 I wasn't home and hosed just yet though as this fish had no intentions of coming quietly, numerous strong lunges downstream and runs upstream into the ribbon weed this fish knew what was up! and it was a good fish too. In the relatively clear water I could see the fish constantly turning and flanking before disappearing from sight once again, it was a tricky 4-5min battle (or so it seemed) before she finally came to the net before resting in the folds, I had, at last caught a R.Blackwater Barbel and she wasn't bad either.

 A piece of meat was the winning formula this time around, who knew! :) the ever faithful luncheon meat.

Excellent!

 A few record shots were taken and a weight taken too, I didn't think it was the double I am angling for but knew it was a good Barbel and at 9lb 1ozs I was not disappointed, third trip to the river and I have lift off!


Mint conditioned Otter dodger :)

  The rest of the evening passed by without incident, I shall have to wait for another visit to chalk the Blackwater off my list, number 20 is pending, watch this space!!!

8 comments:

  1. Well done, hard earned and well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, she was certainly hard earned, however the job here is not done and need to find a bigger one, just a pound more and that would be suffice!

      Delete
  2. Great work, nice fish to get you on the scorecard - it’s a tough old river (took me all afternoon to catch one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely. It took a little longer than I thought it would given the fact I know they are around, however it was a lovely fish to kick things off with...Now where is it's big sister??

      All afternoon?....you are slacking mate!

      Delete
  3. Great stuff James, good old reliable meat !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't leave the house without one or two tins in my bag! So reliable I rate it numero uno in terms of Barbel bait, static, rolled or trotted it catches Barbel of all sizes.

      Delete
  4. Excellent result, the fishing will get easier there from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave.

      I would like to think so, it's always that first fish off a new venue that's biggest hurdle, but the BW doesn't give up its treasures easily and so much of it doesn't hold Barbel, but my intel on this particular 1-1.5 miles of river was watertight, I just had to apply myself like I do everywhere and hope I come across what I am looking for.

      Watch this space...

      Delete

Back on the Bream Trail.

   After that slow but very fruitful start to my spring Bream campaign I headed back out with the view to building upon what was a result be...