Sunday 1 September 2024

I'm Still Alive.

 

 Well, I honestly can't say I have had a less satisfying start to a season than this one, barring my successes with that massive Rudd brace on the 17th of June it has been terrible. Now I know that would for many anglers make their season and it was a great accomplishment for me given my attempts to catch a 3lb Fenland Rudd.

 But, over the past three seasons of the 40 Rivers Challenge I have made good use of the warmer conditions and successfully chalked off a few rivers before the cooler weather inevitably makes things slightly more tricky. Now I may have covered this in previous posts this season but the unseasonably and longer cold spring had certainly put the kybosh on a fast start and subsequent visits to the Nene, Wye, Bourne and most recently a return to the Wharfe and a debut visit to the Aire also ended up with big fat 0 in the Barbel caught column ( doubles that is ). 

 On rivers I have little knowledge of, I get it that the slow starts will likely happen as I gather information and fish areas to locate Barbel, nevertheless I have fished rivers and areas I am quite familiar with - with equally poor results. I can only hope as the nights draw in a little and the Barbel finally drag themselves out of their comas that results improve. I have a few plans afoot and hope one or two of them come good as my target to reach 30 rivers completed by March 14th 2025. If I don't reach 27/28 rivers completed by New Years I think my target will be in tatters, that said I am in no rush to finish this challenge and it happens when it happens...that said I am an impatient git at times :) 

 Below are a couple of images from my venture across the Pennines as I holiday'd up in the Lake District with the family, a full day away North Yorkshire was a nice little treat with the rods.

 

A flooded R.Wharfe.

The Aire in Leeds.

Ditto, upstream from the weir.

8 comments:

  1. Am sure you will do it, keep going matey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been a very slow start and one I didn't envisage given a couple of the rivers I've frequented, but that's fishing for you!

      Delete
  2. Autumn should be kind to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to an upturn in sport, so far it's been pants! I'll be on the Wye next week for a couple of days.

      Delete
  3. Not just you finding it tough James, I was up North recently and went for a nose at a couple of spots on the river Swale, any plans there ? looked a lovely river must admit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seems to be sporadic catches for those who are catching. As for the Swale, I haven't walked it but I have a couple of areas in mind and will give it a bash, possibly this season depending on how my fortunes on the Wharfe and Aire turn out, don't really want to start anymore new rivers now, got a few that I know I am in the right areas, now just about 50% application, 50% location, if those two align I will be cooking on gas!

      Delete
  4. Time to tick another river off your barbel challenge… best time is nearly upon us…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that moment was about 6 weeks ago but I've been made to wait. A couple of little birdies have told me the KS isn't done with throwing up big Barbel, maybe...just maybe there something extra special in the offing, if I can just get to the bank!!!

      Delete

Wye Not.

   Yes, Wye not indeed, I can't think of many places that I have fished that look so good whatever the time of year. This time around I ...