Sunday 15 September 2024

Wye Not.

 

 Yes, Wye not indeed, I can't think of many places that I have fished that look so good whatever the time of year. This time around I didn't have long available. On my way over to the river I swung into the Drennan HQ to pilfer some goodies and chew the fat with Peter and the boys for a couple of hours, always great to hear Peter's stories of an era long before I was conceived! During my time there we also did a product launch video for the new collapsable specimen nets ( 28", 32" & 36" ), these will be available in all good outlets imminently.


 With my time in Oxford up I hit the A40 toward Wales. A quick swing around to Brian's to collect him and we were Wye bound, full of excitement at the prospect of a bumper day we got ourselves ready quickly...however, for me at least things didn't quite happen. I spent the first couple of hours scratching around for a nibble, it really was slow going with the Chub action even being eerily quiet, normally I'm cursing them but I wasn't on this trip.

Mmmm meat!

 Think my first Barbel came around 2-3pm to which a couple more followed but not big enough for weighing and pics but estimated them to be between 5&6lbs. Not bad fighting size and boy did they give it but I wanted something more substantial. Slightly more substantial I got, a couple of hours later I found another pod of Barbel which all weighed over 7lb ( 7.03, 7.10 & 7.15 ), the fish were better but a feeling suddenly came over me that my time on this particular section is coming to an end, as picturesque as it is, safe and secure and night fishing access it ticks all the boxes, I just don't know if I'm going to get that 10lb+ specimen. 

7.15

7.10




Brian latched into a fish that went 9.04


 I think a move is on the cards soon...however I planned to stay the night but as the temperature tumbled toward 4c I thought better of it and kindly Brian's folks allowed me to stay at their place. Cheers!!!

5 comments:

  1. Tough decisions, but am sure it will pay off. Good luck James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is a tough decision, so much keeping me there at Lydbrook and feel I have learned the mile or so of river well but just not confident now that it will provide what I am after.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, you'll have to endure more autumn days on the Wye. Never mind James, someone has to do it.
    I've lost touch with the 'double swims' but I'm certain you will get one soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, what a travesty :) , The best time is coming up, so I will be out soon and hope that maybe, just maybe that a big fish is just a cast away.

      Delete

Wye Not.

   Yes, Wye not indeed, I can't think of many places that I have fished that look so good whatever the time of year. This time around I ...