Thursday 26 February 2015

Stret-Pegging For River Carp.


 At the beginning of the week I had big plans for today, the rain was to make sure that it wasn't to go as planned. Roach again were on the agenda and a light rod was made up as I set about finding a shoal of quality fish that I had spotted very recently, I just hoped I would get there before the rain started as the river rises quickly and colours up extremely quickly which invariably puts the Roach right off the feed.

 I walked over a mile of river before getting myself ready, a few Trout were showing amongst the gravels but as these were not on my radar I just watched them charge around chasing each-other with one of these fish pushing five pound, a month's time on the fly I certainly wouldn't mind hooking that kipper, further down as I approached the Roachey spots I spotted a pair of lovely river Carp amongst some dense weed in a slack off of the main river, "on 4lb line and a size 16 barbless", I thought to myself sod it why not, it wasn't favourable but fancied my chances, the smaller Mirror looked around low-mid double and the other close approaching 20lb!, these were proper river Carp and in the pacy main river this would be a hell of a scrap if one slipped up. After assessing the situation I opted to stret-peg a lump of bread-flake just ahead of them and rest the float just off of a piece of weed so as to not alert them, within 20-30seconds the smaller fish showed an interest and nudged the bread, heart in mouth moment and before I could think "you crafty bugger", it turned back around and nailed the
bait, I waited for the line to tighten up and the bite to indicate on my quill and with the slightest pull under I leant into a feisty fish.

Stretting magic.

 I had many difficulties in trying to avoid losing the fish in the weed but after numerous near misses I managed to coax her into the margins where again the river was slack so I had the opportunity to slip a somewhat under-gunned net under my prize, a very pretty and solid Linear Mirror Carp at 13lb 2oz, unfortunately it had a sore looking legion on it's tail but there was nothing I could do to clean it up, all the time that I was fishing for that Carp the weather got progressively worse and the river was colouring up to the point I thought about packing up there and then, after a mile or so walk in the pissing rain and a few trots for some Roach I gave up, never going to feed in that. 

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyable post and a great bit of opportunistic fishing - nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pukka Carp, shame the river was in such bad condition after the capture of the Carp, the Roach were never going to feed.

      Delete

Season Review 2023/24.

   Well, that was fun! I managed to get quite a bit of angling done over the last 12 months, as you could probably imagine alot of it was in...