Sunday 29 April 2018

Match Day One.


 It's been a very long time since I fancied a match in fishing, it's an idea I've had for a while but only just decided to give it a go. I must admit, however tough it was, it was good fun. The stiff competition was partner in crime Brian and my brother Richard who decided to leave the carp alone just for one day, as did I! A day off from T.H.P.C (The Hundred Pound Challenge) gave me the opportunity to relax and know that there wasn't miles of walking empty banks in search of one fish.

 Our destination was the Marsh Farm complex and Crucian carp, along with Tench were the target. The parameters of how the match was to be conducted were discussed and the points system agreed upon got me quite excited. We settled upon swims fairly close to each other so that we could update each other on how we were progressing. Honesty obviously was key to success of the match as we were self adjudicators.

 Crucians were worth 4 pts.
 Tench were worth 2 pts.
 Anything else was worth 1pt (But had to be over a pound)

The suicide peg, if you've fished it you know why!
 I began the day fishing a bank of reeds which I know to have produced good hauls in the past, my problem was that I couldn't keep the fish I hooked out of them and proceeded to lose 10! fish and only landing two in a 6 hr spell, out of those ten fish, three were crucians and one looked to be an upper-2lb specimen. Not the start I wanted, as Brian powered into the lead. Richard didn't fair too well either.

 By this point Brian had a lead of 16 points!

 The evening proved to be a little better as I returned to my reed swim after giving it a 2-hr break to try and banish the mornings disappointment. I changed my approach and played catch-up. My late serge really put Brian's 16 point lead at risk as my maggot feeder rod barely lay still for more than 10 mins at a time. Time however wasn't on my side as the end time of 2030 approached.

My best, on the float at 5lb 2oz.

 Normally the sight of a little tench of no more than 1lb 8oz would have annoyed me at prime crucian time, but my attentions had turned full circle and the target of 22 points was all that mattered, the competitive side of me crept out and I found myself needing just 4 points within ten minutes of the final minute. My Delkim sounding off and another fish on, but would it be a 4pt crucian or a 2pt tench? At first I thought it was the crucian I was after, a dainty fight ensued for all but twenty seconds before a spirited little tench squirmed towards the reeds, just like most of its companions!

 A little pressure applied and that was in the bag. 22 to B and 20 to myself with just a couple of minutes left......could I tie the match at the death? or even win it?

 Unfortunately not, I had to settle for second...

 Brian 22 points (Winner)
 James 20 points (2nd)
 Richard Unknown ( As he gave up and fished one of the other ponds :) ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back on the Bream Trail.

   After that slow but very fruitful start to my spring Bream campaign I headed back out with the view to building upon what was a result be...