Monday 23 April 2018

T.H.P.C: Part Four: Taming Towpath Titans.


 As part of my "One Hundred Pound Challenge", a thirty pound plus specimen is the target and with the amount of sunshine we've had recently it has given me the opportunity to go and explore. Many miles walked, not many fish seen. However, that is the canal systems for you, very sparsely populated, but, when you do get the opportunity, you really have to make it count, as they are often fleeting. Just to make it harder than their pond dwelling cousins, these fish are smart and nomadic.

 For 3 years I have marched these banks, with a combined visit count of around 40 trips, my return ratio to carp has been light. Three carp weighing in at (25.4, 23.9 & 15+) has illustrated just how tough it is. I believe I am a fairly competent angler in these situations, so to struggle as I have it really puts the task into perspective.

 Not every visit is the same and this trip just illustrates why keeping your eyes open at all times pays off in the end. Knowing roughly where a couple have recently resided I decided to use that as a base for my spring's assault. I spent the morning faffing around at home with the prospect of an afternoons fishing.

 Having travelled by public transport my gear had to be light in order to make my roving comfortable. The set-up I opted for was a 9ft Nash Dwarf abbreviated 2.75tc, Shimano 4000 bait runner, fished with 10lb ultra low-diameter line and a size 6 drennan wide-gape hook. Using a sturdy rod of 2.75tc seems at times a bit too strong, on the canals though, there are a lot of obstacles like boats and bridge pilings which pose a risk when in combat. To nullify this risk I fish a little more stepped up, which is against my usual approach as I love to fish as light as possible, thus experiencing a more enhanced battle, which in turn excites me more.

 Once I had made my journey the only thing that was on my mind was to get set up. With the sun shining high in the sky the canal would, I hope, reveal all or most of its secrets, secrets I am determined to uncover. Having finally reached the towpath I was met by what can only be described as flawless conditions for stalking. My angling brain was telling me to remain focused, I just needed one opportunity. Having only walked half a mile I was met by the sight on an incredible looking common carp in the mid-twenties.

 She was broad, not particularly long but the colour of it was stunning. As if it had been painted black. If I could only tempt her to take a piece of crust. What seemed like an hour had passed by in a flash although it was probably twenty minutes or so, countless casts were made at this marauding beast, my efforts had all been dismissed by the swift turning of the head followed by the sizeable tail pattern on the surface as she'd cruise off to seek solitude, away from my attentions which I am certain she was aware of after the first few attempts.

 Up at the next lock Brian had been trying to achieve the same sort of result on a couple of fish he had located (believe me, the stocks are ridiculously low), after learning I was on the water he arranged to make his way down. Ten minutes later I could see him in the distance making his way towards me, as he did my target came back into view after missing for nearly ten minutes. I decided to wait for her to slow up as she turned off the speed towards a bridge where I may lose her in the shadows. A lump of flake was pinched on and cast above her, maybe 6 or 7ft and smack bang in her path, and out of utter disbelief, this time she opened up her orange sized mouth and sucked it in!

 immediately my legs turned to jelly as I knew it was a good twenty and I'd only get this one chance. As I hooked her Brian had reached me and his reaction was the same as mine! Sorry mate, these things do happen. Occasionally. The initial couple of runs were powerful and all I could do was go with it, putting too much pressure may risk loss if the hook wasn't set well. Quite a few minutes later she was ready for the net and the battle was won. Queue the jubilation which I was able to enjoy as we photographed and weighed my prize. Having been lucky enough in the past to catch a towpath monster I was able to once again enjoy the capture of a very special carp, could this catch be topped in any way? It's always a question I ask myself once achieving such a feat.

Simply...

Awesome! 23lb 4oz!

 After resting her and then watching my prize slowly swim off back into obscurity I glanced at the shots with a broad smile. My target being a canal thirty does seem to be a massive challenge but carp of this size will certainly keep me happy in the meantime. Brian and I folded up the gear and went for a walk up to where we encountered a couple of skittish carp ( three to possibly 20lb ), but these were not in a feeding mood and completely ignored all advances. Around 3pm I continued on my march alone in search of more water, more miles walked but very little by way of activity on the surface gave me the feeling my success for the day had already been achieved.

Magnificent creature.

 A few pods of bream and a couple of spawning pike gave me a little spark of enthusiasm amongst the seemingly baron sections, lock after lock remained empty. Clarity not issue in most, which leads me to believe there isn't much there. This was until I got about 8 miles from where I caught my 23.4 when the baron and unbroken surface was disturbed by a cruising common carp in the mid-twenties. I was going to drop my bag and net off in a central location of the section and use that as a base, but the carp was extremely mobile and couldn't second guess its movements. I had to remain as mobile to stand a chance.

 This fish was clearly longer and although not as pretty as the "23" it looked bigger, maybe around the 25-26lb mark, a wide back, large enough to ride! and fat gut which looked to contain a decent amount of spawn, so it is conceivable she was looking for mates in preparation to spawning in a few weeks. If I thought my task was hard on the last one this one made sure I would use my ability to its maximum, it tested my resolve so far as I very nearly decided to throw in the towel as she ignored my seemingly perfect hook bait. Either the presentation wasn't as good as I thought or she simply wouldn't eat it until it was where she wanted it, not where I thought it would be suitable.

 For ten minutes or so, I stood back from the towpath in the grass verge and watched her, no rod in hand, just me and the fish. I looked to see if any patterns emerged and sure enough there was. Every time that she would finish the run she would hug the far bank, disappear from view for a while and then top forty yards to my left. She began to do that very circuit again and this time I had my rod ready, just where she'd come back to the beginning my bait was waiting.

 10 feet and approaching! on course and waiting. My flake sat waving in the gentle breeze as the large frame came back into view from the shadows of the pilings, no more than ten seconds had passed when the flake was gone, her mouth opened like a trap door and immediately I struck, she simply had
no idea that the game was up, I wanted to win more, my resolve tested to its limit but now just a cool and composed battle would stand between me and another canal leviathan.

Peacock Butterfly.
 Joggers, mothers pushing prams, walkers and so on all passed by not knowing just what was unfolding, completely oblivious to it all, my rod bent all the way to the butt as I tried my best to stop it charging much further towards a small marina where I knew things could become perilous, I didn't want that and did my best to prevent. Thankfully enough persuading on my part gave me the upper hand and after a couple of half hearted attempts to power off again were thwarted I shipped the net out and eased her in. I had only gone and caught another!!

 The grin was already indelible but now I'd never be able to forget this, being that the temps were around 27c I couldn't afford to mess around with her for long, so I set the camera up and sling/scales whilst wedging the landing net pole between my legs until I was ready. A new canal record for me? you bet it was! I punched the air as the scales settled on 25lb 7oz! Only just beaten my old canal best, but I had, pure brilliance. More than I could have hoped for, simply chuffed to bits. I had one of those red letter days which don't happen often, especially on the canal.

What a way to end the day!
 Having watched the second part of my brace disappear my appetite to continue wained, I was more than content and my search for a "canal thirty" will wait for another day. 

 I had tamed two towpath titans! in one day.....

23 comments:

  1. Awesome fish, was a pleasure to be the net-man on the 23 and a shame I had to head off before the 25. To find a needle in a haystack is one thing but to find two - that’s got to be one of your best sessions ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you in fact that catching one is a challenge in itself. Still grinning!

      Delete
  2. Great write up James, awesome fish and love the title too... !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a bit of alliteration, fitting for those pair of animals!

      Delete
  3. Nice story and fish. We don't get Commons that big on our bit of the GU canal. Mostly Mirrors. Lovely to see Commons that size. Although we have got a lot more fish. Can usually catch at least one in a 2-3 hour stint. You have to be keen to keep going that many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the Michael Wilkins once of Leighton Rovers by any chance?

      Delete
    2. We fished together for a couple of years in GUC matches. Phil Wintle was captain at the time.

      Delete
    3. That sounds quite impressive to catch so many in such a short space of time. One carp in ten trips is about the ratio I'm currently running at. GUC will be feeling my presence soon. Can't wait to get back out!

      Delete
    4. George Burton. I do remember that was such a long time ago. Dave Groom who I went with died aged 53 in 1998.
      Find me on Facebook.

      Delete
    5. James Denison. We are spoilt. Fished in the rain for 3 hours yesterday evening for my first blank in 4 goes.
      If you are ever in the Leighton Buzzard area of the GU canal and you want a heads up on where to go. Look me up on Facebook. There has been a 27lb, 26lb Mirrors and a 21lb Common caught in the last 3 weeks. I have fished it all my life. I can't promise you a twenty, but I can put you in the right areas.

      Delete
  4. Great write up James and what a brace. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! All 48lb 11oz of them! so chuffed inside still.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant effort & skill James. While you might match this day in other ways you'll probably never beat the satisfaction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that you are right George, the sheer task to catch one isn't for the "I want to catch big brigade, in no time at all" it simply doesn't happen. It suits me just fine!

      Delete
  6. Amazing brace James,well done. I used have a few upto a best of 23lb 10oz on a good stretch of the GUC,that was until the CRT electro fished it to remove the zander. They took it upon themselves to remove most of the carp also,sold them on to a lake in Derbyshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Mark, why does that not surprise me. The CRT will sell everything they could get their mitts on if they could. As for the Zander, it’s clear they do not want them in the systems at all, I don’t suppose they will stop until they’ve ridded the water of them. Canal carp on the other hand are so rare it’s unreal. However I do feel confident that my canal target may indeed be achieved. It will be a challenge that’s for sure!

      Delete
  7. Be lucky James,tight lines mate.

    ReplyDelete

Back on the Bream Trail.

   After that slow but very fruitful start to my spring Bream campaign I headed back out with the view to building upon what was a result be...