Wednesday 4 October 2017

Autumn Barbel, Quest for a Monster Begins.


 Now with the warmer months behind us the rods come out to play for a better chance at catching a super sized Barbel, not many places on this island where they are common, locating them is a tall order especially that my target is a 15lb+ specimen, go to the Trent and stand a half decent chance? Avon, Stour (Dorset), Ouse etc these are all rivers that have done fish to this size and beyond or still do as is the case with the Avon, it's just a difficult river to learn, especially as I am an away day angler on these rivers, my more local rivers (Thames Tributaries) don't often give up it's treasures easily, but there is no harm in trying!

 Over the years I've spent countless hours walking and fishing a handful of these rivers and been very fortunate with what I have achieved but taking it to the next level will not be easy, if anything I know I'll enjoy the journey ahead as I always do.

 Recently I got out for my first proper session, baited a couple of areas with the intention of keeping it going in, build the swims so that they gain confidence for when the proper feeding times come along, typically a mild spell after a prolonged cold spell is best, but this isn't gospel! Unfortunately with the baited areas fresh I didn't manage a take but all will come good I'm certain. With the lack of action there I choose a different approach elsewhere and after a decent walk I was rewarded with a fighting fit, long and lean summer conditioned Barbel of 8.11, certainly got room to fill out there!

8.11

Mid 7lber

 Proceedings were looking up from there as it wasn't long before another Barbel, this time taken on bread flake came to the net, great condition and possibly a young Barbel ( hopefully with good growth genes ), be good to see a larger head of high single figure fish. After recovering that whisker in the flow I set off downstream further but the Barbel weren't forthcoming and only a Chub slipped up before I called it a day, not a bad couple of hours which in truth was only to get the baiting up started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wading About for Ladies.

   As the season drew to a close I got an invite from Mike once again to join him on the beautiful Wylye, how could I ever say no!!  Conditi...